SUMMARY: AS 2100 CPU Upgrade

From: John P. Speno <speno_at_isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:23:15 -0500

The answer:

No, once you upgrade your CPU from a 4/xxx to a 5/xxx, you can't boot from
your existing /vmunix.

Yes, you can boot from /genvmunix, and proceed with a kernel rebuild.

One thing to try while booted from /genvmunix is to check the output of
'sizer -n foobar' for the 'cpu' option. If it is different from what is in
your /sys/conf/NAME file, you should use it in your config file before
rebuilding the new kernel.

I received answers to my question from the following:

        "Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>
        Randy Hayman <haymanr_at_icefog.alaska.edu>
        And even then Digital CSC.

My original quesiton was:

I'm planning to upgrade an AlphaServer 4/233 to a 5/250, running Digital
UNIX 4.0b.

According to Digital's documentation (EK-KN470-IN. B01), Step 11 says this:

"Digital UNIX systems: You will need to rebuild the kernel...After you
rebuild the kernel, you can boot the operating system."

My question is this:

Will I be able to boot from the existing /vmunix after the CPU upgrade,
even though it was built using the EV 4 CPU?

If not, can I boot from the existing /genvmunix? (I assume is the same as
the one that comes from the 4.0B distribution CD.)

And, failing that, how does one do this without re-installing the OS.