Print servers and Unix

From: Julyan Cartwright <julyan_at_hp1.uib.es>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 20:32:18 +0100 (MET)

        We have a laser printer (HP Laserjet 4m) for our Unix workstations,
that up till now has been hung off the parallel port of an HP 735
workstation. We've been printing from Dec Alphas, HPs, Silicons, Suns,
Linux machines, you name it, via the HP735 to that printer without any
problem.
        Now though, for reasons I won't go into, we can't hang the printer off
that machine any more. The printer is old enough so that it doesn't have an
ethernet card, and I've been given an Intel NetportExpress printer server
and told to get it working. The Intel print server, it seems, needs to have
two queues defined for it in Unix machines: one for postscript and the other
for text. I ran some tests and it seems that if I send a text file to the
postscript queue, not only does it not appear printed, but also it hangs the
printer, which then has to be manually reset. This seems to me a bad thing,
because the users are accustomed to having one queue for everything. They
are not happy at having to remember about two print queues, and what's more,
when they forget and send the wrong type of print job, they hang the printer.
        Does anyone else have an Intel print server working fine with Unix,
or otherwise any recommendations of better print servers that only need one
type of queue? Any recommendations for or against HP or Emulex, or any other
make of print server for Unix? I will summarize.
Thanks,
        Julyan

--
Julyan Cartwright                   Email julyan_at_hp1.uib.es
Computer Centre                     WWW   http://formentor.uib.es/~julyan/