SUMMARY: NIS on ASE cluster

From: LBRO <lbro_at_dscc.dk>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 10:56:48 +0100

     Hi,

     This applies to all who use ASE, NIS and Enhanced Security.

     A long time ago, I asked how to implement a highly available NIS
     master server in an ASE environment. I have now been forced to do this
     implementation myself and have come up with something that seems to
     work pretty nice.

     I attach a description of the solution, comments are very welcome.

     Normally, the outage of the NIS master only causes the yppasswd
     command to be unavailable. But with Enhanced Security, people cannot
     even log in. Users of ASE may want to put the NIS server on the
     cluster to avoid this situation.

     Lars Bro (lbro_at_dscc.dk)