Fileserver configuration

From: Martin Mokrejs <mmokrejs_at_mail.natur.cuni.cz>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 20:13:12 +0100 (MET)

Hello,
 we are planning to buy a fileserver, which will be able to survive some
computational requests, and running some real-time modelling applications.

My questions are:
I think about AS, singleprocessor because I'm not sure if there are some
apps for multiprocessor environments. RAM about 512MB or 1GB, probably no
more. Disk space about 15-20GB. What do you think about RAID 0 on two
disks on which will be located filesystem with databses(to speed up
database searches)? I think we want to stripe about 2-4 GB, no more.
RAID 0+1 would be nice, but what configuration and what price it would be?

 - because it wiil be used also as a computing server, I'd try to buy best
processor, because it will not be idle
 - we have access to DEC Campus licences so we will have sw like cc, c++,
f77, f90, OpenGL, perl etc. Is there paralel version of any of these?
I'm still not sure if we will utilize multiprocessor machine....
 - I must say I don't have much experience with RAID on any platform. We
have one on SGI Origin200, software Plexing(Mirroring) - but it did not
crash yet, so... ;-)

The following questions are raising up while looking at DEC's web site. I
don't know what to look for!, sorry.

I know there are some KZPSA-BB controllers, KZPSC-AA or BA
  -those are probably PCI /EISA drive controllers.

There is some Storage Works(is it SW or HW)?
  -it's probably the external case. Is there inside also a controller? In
all cases, or just a SCSI bus?

What are RAID arrays? Some series like 210, 230, or 450... What's that.
Also "just external boxes"? What's inside? Some default devices?

 Can you describe each in few words? I just don't know what to look for!

  I don't want to limit your responses by price, let's suppose there's no
limit. ;-)

If you have any suggestions to software, hardware or anything else I'd
like to hear from you. So what machine would you dream about?

Martin
| Martin MOKREJS - Net&SysAdmin |
| PGP 5.0i key at: finger://mail.natur.cuni.cz/mmokrejs |
| mmokrejs_at_natur.cuni.cz Faculty of Science, The Charles University |
| tel.: +420-2-2195 2315 Albertov 6, PRAGUE 2, 128 43, Czech Republic |