Partial Summary OSF 3.2* and ln0 (Actually PMAD-BA)

From: S. Grant <grant_at_psc.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:34:57 -0500

People have asked for more info:

Netstat -in and -rn show everything up and happy

Uerf shows no errors

No errors appear in system logs

Arp requests are going out in complete and un-munged format, and
replies are sent by other machines, all info in the arp packets are
correct. In other words, the machine is getting out onto the net
perfectly fine, it is just not hearing anything coming back.

The card is a PMAD-BA ethernet card, TENBT.

We added in a second card (PMAD-AA at ln1), and all is well with the
world.

So now the question is: Does anyone have a DEC 3000_300LX with a
PMAD-BA 10bT ethernet card running V3.2C or above, with firware
installed from the V3.6 Firmware CD, or should I send this card out
for repairs?

I rec'd many fine points to check out which included:
---
Many, many folks are running DEC 3000 300 models with versions
from 3.0-4.0...
---
Assure rc.config (via netsetup) values are configured properly
---
Upgrade firmware before installing OS
---
"Works with Firmware rev 2.4 and PAL code Version 1.28. You
should probably load the recommended version for V3.2C. "
---
Spent some time trying to assure that the machine was configured to
run with the RJ45 cable, but all attempts failed as the machine doesn't
support many of the variables I was trying to manipulate.  I believe
those variables are not supported on this model.
---
"I had the same problem once configuring an AXP on FULL DUPLEX Ethernet TENB-Twisted pair) on a Half
duplex infrastructure. That showed the same symptoms you wrote.
It could be the opposite too, i.e. a half duplex system on a full duplex connection box
who is not aware of half duplex devices.
As far as I know the older 3000 series I/F only do Half duplex, but I'm
not sure."
---
"New versions of DEC firmware cause ethernet adapters on 300 LXs to not
function. Try downgrading."
	[note: I did not try this]
-------
Thanks to everyone who sent me messages thus far!
-------