DU on an Alpha XL

From: Michael-Dennis Biemans <michaeld_at_stack.nl>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 15:39:13 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

I've been using DU on my Multia, and I was quite pleased with it until it
broke down. I decided to buy an Alpha XL 266, and although I knew these
systems were designed to run Windows NT, I took my chances. The first
problem is of course SRM, it isn't available for the XL (not on the digital
website). Does anyone know if it is possible to run SRM from a floppy or
from a FAT HD partition ? This is necessary because the XL does not have
the flash-memory like the Multia.

If SRM is possible on the XL, how about the hardware that is supported by
DU, where can I find the video/networkcards it supports ?

Of course, I know that the XL will never be officially supported by DU, but
are there any *real* (hardware) reasons for DU not to work on the XL ?
So if there are any tricks to get it working, please let me know :)

  thanks in advance,

  Michael-Dennis Biemans

PS: I'm now running Linux on the XL, and I'm patching the kernel so that it
    will be able to read DU UFS formatted HDs. Would it be possible to boot
    DU from Linux ?