SUMMARY: Advfs questions - defragmentation

From: Bevan Broun <bevanb_at_ee.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:33:21 +0800

Thanks to:

john_jorgensen_at_wsu.edu
"Jan D'Addamio" <daddamio_at_zso.dec.com>
Mike D Cross <crossmd_at_mh.uk.sbphrd.com>

for their replies.

Most advice I received was vdump, remove the file domain, make the file domain
and vrestore, which is what I have done. (Performace is much improved :-)

>From Jan D'Addamio of AdvFS Development, Compaq Computer Corp. (formerly
Digital Equipment Corp.) I got the following

>The problem was definitely caused by trying to defragment one of the very
>large files you had. One of the people I work with has just developed a fix
>for this. If you need more details as to why it happened, I can see if he can
>provide them to you. The fix will definitely be in V5.0. I don't know if it
>can be backported to older releases or not, but one way for you to find out is
>to have your support person file an IPMT on your log half full problem.
>
> If you had a lot of files on your domain, verify could very well run
>out of memory. In that case, it does what it can without the memory.
>It's have to say exactly what the cause was because you didn't specify
>any output. You probably would have been better off if you just restored
>the domain at that point. If you can still mount it, I would say do a
>backup, wipe out the domain, and restore. If you can't mount it, we have
>a new utility called salvage which will be able to get the files off if
>you don't have a good backup. Your support person can get a copy for you
>if you really need it.

So I have and nice new file domain. Now my verify still gives out of
memory problems. I search the archives and found acheson_at_ohiou.edu:

and john_jorgensen said:
>Addressing the issue of "out of memory", we have also experienced that
>and had to issue the following commands in sh
>
> ulimit -S -d 1048576
> ulimit -S -s 32768
>
>or in ksh
>
> ulimit -S -d unlimited
> ulimit -S -s unlimited

Which I haven't tried yet.

My original post was:

--
Bevan Broun                                           ph (08) 9380 1587
Computer Systems Officer                             fax (08) 9380 1065