CC Agent: Unable to open device

From: Marcus Holmlund <mhd_at_ladok.umu.se>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 12:28:36 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear managers

I have some problems with configuring the Command Console Agent for
StorageWorks at our Digital Unix.
When I try to start the agent it is mailing the following error message to
me:
        WARNING: Unable to open device - rrz8a (SP_MONITOR: MonitorSubsys)

What can be the cause, and the fix?

Thanks
/Marcus

Background/additional information:
----------------------------------
StorageWorks Array 450 is configured and working
Digital Unix 4.0D
We are using a KZPSA adapter.
Command Console Agent 1.10 is installed

After the configuration of StorageWorks and reboot of the UNIX server that
is connected to it, the server configured some device files (there is 3
logical units 0 - 2):
rrz8a - rrz8h (character special file)
rrzb8a - rrzb8h
rrzc8a - rrzc8h
rz8a - rz8h (block special device file)
rzb8a - rzb8h
rzc8a - rzcb8h

The documentation about CCAgent says that it want to now a character
special file name. But when I try configuring it with for example the
device file rrz8a I get the error message mentioned above. The device file
should be correct because when using dd if=/dev/rrz8a of=/tmp/test the
lights is blinking on the StorageWorks and I get raw data from the disks.

The permission of the device file is:
crw------- 1 root system 8,16384 May 7 13:22 /dev/rrz8a