amount of data per read request on DU 4.0B

From: VAN DE PERRE Jochen <Jochen.Van.De.Perre_at_is.belgacom.be>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:29:19 +0200

Hi gurus,

In our "advanced tuning handbook of oracle",
we read that the operating system limits the amount of
data that can be read during a single read request.
For example: on HP-UX this is 64k per read request.

Question 1: how much is this on DEC UNIX 4.0B?

Question2: Can this parameter be changed? (If it is a parameter)

The reason why we want to know is obvious: we want to optimize
full table scan reads in oracle. They have parameters they can set
as well, but these are dependent on the "read size per request" of
the operating system.

I will summarize...

Thanks,

J.
\\
Jochen Van de Perre
SAP & UNIX system administrator
Belgacom Directory Services
Tel: 02/702.70.45
//

Weekly quote:
"640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates, 1981.