Solution - DECserver 900TM and Console Ports

From: Hung Tran <hungtran_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 22:29:55 +1000

Hello again,

Further to my original question, I received the following response from Steve Parker (UK)

***********
I have used a DECserver 90M where you can set-up a port to act as a telnet port.

For example, Port 1 can be stup as telnet port 2001, Port 2 as telnet port 2002 etc.

The commands are:

change port 1 access remote
change port 1 default protocol telnet
change port 1 session limit 1
change tel list 2001 port 1
change tel list 2001 connections enabled

You can then use a terminal or terminal emulator to 'telnet' to that port rather than the default telnet port 23.

e.g if the ip address of the terminal server was 192.12.12.12 and one of you routers was connected to port 1, you could telnet to IP address 192.12.12.12 port 2001 and gain access to the device connected to the port.

i.e. telnet 192.12.12.12 2001

Regards

Steve Parker
It worked on my DECserver 900TM as well. My 4-wire cable connecting the DECserver and the router was alright. No flow control is necessary.

Thank you, Steve and Bye for now,

Hung