SUMMARY: NFS3 write error 70 on host xxxx

From: Umapathy J <pathy_at_serc415.serc.iisc.ernet.in>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 10:57:05 +0500

Hello managers,
        this is not the full summary but a part of it,

Thanks to:
       "Irene A. Shilikhina" <irene_at_alpha.iae.nsk.su>

My original query was :

> I have observed two errors. These are
>
> Jul 29 12:04:23 hydra vmunix:NFS3 write error 60 on host nfs1cdata
> Jul 29 12:04:23 hydra vmunix:NFS3 RFS_WRITE failed for server
> nfs1cdata:RPC:timed out
>
> Jul 29 14:33:32 hydra vmunix:NFS3 write error 70 on host nfsmission
>
> nfsstat does not report any NFS server or client errors at all.
>
> Is this normal or is there a real problem. If any one of u have faced
> this problem and
> have a solution pls help me out.
> TIA
>
> Umapathy J

This is what Irene had to say :
The first mail read :

Hello,

unfortunately, I have no receipt for a solution of the problem, but I
had
the same difficulty a couple of months ago and then had the archive
looked
through thoroughly, and I'm inclined to explain the situation, according
what I found there that time, as following.
As far as I can remember, it may be caused with the fact that on the
mounted
file system function stat() sometimes cannot be executed, and many and
many
commands call it. From the manual on stat() function:

  The stat() function obtains information about the file named by the
path
  parameter. Read, write, or execute permission for the named file is
not
  required, but all directories listed in the pathname leading to the
file must be searchable.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When commands are executed on the mounted file system, it may be that
their
arguments have not "searchable" paths.

Sorry, it's all I can say, and I'm looking forward to your summary.

Regards,
Irene

This is the second mail :

Hello,

I found out a mail in the archive that I think may be useful for you,
no matter that old enough and the subject lightly different of yours.
I believe it lightens NFS problems quite deeply. Its URL is
http://www.ornl.gov/its/archives/mailing-lists/alpha-osf-managers/1995/08/msg00501.html

Regards,
Irene

the second mail from irene which point to the archives was a useful one
which says , The parent directory of the nfs mount pt. shall not be root
But this is how our clients have mounted the file systems, i cannot
change this overnight, i will have to discuss( you know with whom).
and then find out the problem exists or not.
I will post the full summary after this, it may take some time.

thank you

Umapathy J