SUMMARY: Ping vs NFS, I'm confused

From: Burch Seymour RTPS <bseymour_at_ns.encore.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 12:43:08 -0400 (EDT)

I wrote:

> My 2100 server has some NFS mounted disks on another host. The other host
> went down, the 2100 did not.
>
> I suspected the routers had rebooted so I tried to ping outside the
> company, and got an error, then I tried pinging my X-tube which I know
> is up, beacuse I'm using it, and got the same error:
>
> > ns.encore.com> ping 206.156.225.36
> NFS2 getattr failed for server rt91 : RPC: Timed out

Not surprisingly several folks immediatly knew the answer, and I slapped
my forehead in disgust for not thinking of it myself...

I have a directory in my path variable which is ahead of /usr/sbin
and is on one of the NFS mounted devices. The system is getting the
error while looking for ping.

Obvious with the benefit of hindsight.

Thanks to all.

--
This message from,		Encore Computer Corporation   MS/108
Burch Seymour                   6901 W Sunrise Boulevard