Maximum Number of Groups a User can Belong To?

From: smcgly - Sean McGlynn <SMCGLY_at_acxiom.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:28:12 +0100

Hello All,

We use groups here to separate our individual clients. Usually a person
will belong to no more than half a dozen or so groups, but some of our
programmers will often work on multiple clients and will belong to many
more groups than this. One programmer told me yesterday that they see
the message "initgroups: user xxxxxx belongs to too many groups" when
they log on. This particular user is a member of 35 different groups.
Although the message appears, the group command still lists all the
groups that the user has been added to. Is there an actual limit on the
number of groups that a user can belong to or is this just an old error
message that hasn't been removed from the initgroups code? TIA for your
help.

Cheers,
  Sean
Sean McGlynn (TMIAU)