SUMMARY: Complete Backup solution

From: Gary Munroe <GMUNROE_at_flemingc.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:00:32 -0500 (EST)

Here are the responses I received. Thanks to everyone.

simon.millard_at_gemini.barclays.co.uk

If your disk was completely trashed then you would have no option.
However, if it just data, you can newfs the file system and re-load
the data.

I have done this many times as part of my business resumption testing
and once your have done it once, it's very easy.
"Randall R. Cable" <randy.cable_at_mci.com>

Gary, I would check out a utility called syscheck, available for
Digital's web-site. Sorry don't have the URL here handy. Run it our
your currently configured system and then move the output to someother
system, it is stored as an HTML file so any system that has a browser
can reference it.

I think a reasonable VDUMP will back up everything... COurse if you
lose a system you will have to rebuild the os to the point that you
can restore from it.

"Alan Rollow - Dr. File System's Home for Wayward Inodes."
<alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com>

Everything in a UNIX file system is a file. Many files are special,
such as directories and special device files, but vdump will get those
as well. It may skip sockets and /proc, but those don't need to be
backed up. For sockets, those will be recreated by the programs that
need them. For /proc that's just special file system with a file
entry for every process.

Boddy Bill NTSE <bill.boddy_at_siemens-scg.com>

A vdump is EVERYTHING ! . As long as you have vdumped all the
filesystems .
Once you have that on tape , it is a simple process of restoring that
again. To aid this take hard copies of all your disklabels ,
configuration and filesystems that were mounted at vdump time.

Regards

Bill Boddy
Unix system administrator
Siemens Microelectronics.

"H. Blakely Williford" <blakew_at_fullerbrush.com>

We use vdump to back up the user disk drives, databases, and
development; files, directories, &c.

Get a hold of your digital unix system administration book/guide. It
has chapters devoted to backing up and restoring the system's boot
disk. The part number for my book is aa-ps2rc-te but that is for a
3.2g digital unix not the 4.0b system that you have. Make sure you
get the right release of the book for your operating system -- there
are differences.

I would also scan and read the chapter about restoreing the boot disk
so you know your way around it when that dark day comes.

simon.millard_at_gemini.barclays.co.uk

Vdump backs up everything in a filesystem. If you have more that one
filesystem, more than one filesystem is required. E.g.

Tape is /dev/nrmt0h i.e. non-rewindable

Use:

vdump 0uf /dev/nrmt0h /
vdump 0uf /dev/nrmt0h /usr
vdump 0uf /dev/nrmt0h /var

mt rewoffl

This would place the entire contents of /, /usr and /var onto the one
tape (providing the tape is big enough)

If your system crashes, boot off the cd, recreate your filesystems and
use vrestore -xvf /dev/nrmt0h per filesystem to recover.

| Gary Munroe |
| I.T.S., AS/400 Services Work: gmunroe_at_flemingc.on.ca |
| Sir Sandford Fleming College Home: izzi_at_calweb.com |
| (705) 749-5523 x1409 Web: http://www.calweb.com/~izzi |