DECsafe ASE, IP Aliases and the ARP cache?

From: Richard Sharpe <sharpe_at_ns.aus.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 07:47:29 +0900

Hi,

I have a question relating to the DECsafe ASE product, now folded into TCR,
I believe.

As I recall, ASE worked by associating an IP address with each service, and
setting an IP alias on the interface of the machine that was running the
service.

When the machine running the service failed, a backup detected the fact,
and took over the IP address for the service as an alias on its interface.

What concerns me is the ARP cache. Devices out there (at least the router
on the subnet that the ASE servers are in) will have an ARP cache
assoociating the IP address with the MAC address of the now failed machine,
and these entries stay in the cache for up to 20 minutes.

Since I have seen ASE working, I am interested in knowing how ASE got
around this problem?

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe_at_ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba, Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, Netscape, Stronghold, C, ...