SUMMARY: Mounting an existing disk with adfs

From: Dr. Otto Titze, Kernphysik TUD, +49 6151 162916 <titze_at_ikp.tu-darmstadt.de>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 21:20:45 +0100 (CET)

Thank you for the fast replies

"Serguei Patchkovskii" <patchkov_at_ucalgary.ca>
"Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_doctor.zk3.dec.com>

When the first reply from Serguei came in I tried it immediately
and it worked fine:

Just create a directory in /etc/fdmns, and populate it with symbolic
links to the devices belonging to the volume you want to recover,
and that's it. E.g., for a domain called 'usr_domain' consisting of
a single partition g on rz16, do:

cd /etc/fdmns
mkdir usr_domain
cd usr_domain
ln -s /dev/rz16g rz16g

It may be a good idea to run "/sbin/advfs/verify usr_domain" immediately
afterwards. The whole procedure is described somewhere in the advfs manual
pages.

Cheers,

/Serge.P

---------

Tom pointed out:
You need to go back to a recent system backup from before you lost the disk
and restore the /etc/fdmns directory contents. Otherwise, you have to create
the directory by hand and populate it with the right information to make your
AdvFS domain accessible again.

This should be explained in the System Administration manual, which you should
have in hardcopy and read in detail.

---------

The original question was:

> Hi all,
>
> I lost my system disk. Building another system disk and booting
> that I have the following problem to mount another of the existing
> disks
>
> # mkfdmn /dev/rz6g user1
> /dev/rrz6g is marked in use for AdvFS in the disklabel.
> If you continue with the operation you can
> possibly destroy existing data.
> CONTINUE? [y/n] n
>
> So I didn't continue, because I am not interested to destroy
> any data on the disk. But
>
> # mkfset user1 users
> mkfset: Domain directory '/etc/fdmns/user1' does not exist
> This is correct because user1 does not exist in /etc/fdmns.
>
> And therefore I cannot mount it (#mount user1#userc /userc)
>
> What can I do to mount that particular disk?
>
> Regards
> Otto

Regards
Otto

| Dr. Otto Titze, Kernphysik TU, Schlossgartenstr. 9, D-64289 Darmstadt |
| titze_at_ikp.tu-darmstadt.de Tel: +49(6151)16-2916,FAX:16-4321|