SUMMARY -- Graphics Resolution

From: Luke Liu <llliu_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 20:56:09 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks to
  Erik Persson,
  David Monroe, and
  Dr. Thomas P. Blinn
for the quick responses.

The answer to my question is basically No, I can't not use SVGA PC parts
and get SVGA resolution running DUNIX.

 "If the video card isn't recognized by Digital UNIX, it will load the
  generic VGA driver, which will only operate at 640x480 resolution. The
  only way to get a higher resolution is to use a card that is supported
  by Digital UNIX, such as an S3 Trio64V+ based card."

 "As for your SVGA hardware, it is supported ONLY as generic VGA unless
  you can get a device driver kit from the vendor, who I am sure has not
  bothered to write one. You need both a hardware specific driver for
  the kernel, and a hardware specific interface (DDX) for the X Window
  System. But you could ask Digital Research about it.. They *might* have
  one."

Per our salesman, the video card is no longer part of a workstation by
default. (Whether a good salesperson should let this happen, specially
when we also ordered the expensive monitors from him, is another issue). Buyer
beware!

llliu_at_netscape.net