Disk error(more info)

From: Cai Xuejun <caixj_at_hptc1.ihep.ac.cn>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 20:58:58 +0800

Hi, all

First thanks to Darlington, Tom and Alan.
Yesterday I wrote this:
> Yesterday my one SEAGATE ST19101N disk suddenly give out strange noise,
> so I had to powerd it off. Then I checked /var/adm/binary.errlog with dia
> and found some error log entries related with this disk. I hope these logs
> can help me find the reason of the noise. But I know little about the
> meaning of these entries. Can someone provide me any explantion on these
> logs, or the steps to check the disk?
>
> BTW, are there anywhere can find the documents which provide the
> illustration of the output of /var/adm/binary.errlog?

Now things became more bad, :-<

Today while I was backing up data on the above mentioned disk, I got the
"write I/O error" and the backup was aborted. Luckily the backup
successed at the third time. Then I check /var/adm/binary.errlog and
have the attached error logs. Today's logs involved all my disks and
tape. Can you provide any analysis on the log.
Additionally the entry 5,6,7 and 13 show the error is related with the
device whose "target = 7 , Lun = 7" and the class is disk. But the
command "scu show edt" doesn't list this device. what's the problem?

Thans for your time!

Cai xuejun
--
*** mailto:caixj_at_hptc1.ihep.ac.cn    *