Problems after FirmwareUpgrade Alphastation 255

From: Harald Volz <info_at_bio.tuebingen.mpg.de>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:33:02 +0200

Hi,

today I tried to install a 4.0b from scratch on an Alphastation 255
First I updated the firmware (via bootp) with the as255_v7_8.exe
After a power cycle there are several problems:

booting to the console shows the errormessage:
NO sound device in ISA table, skipping sound init - I had never this
error and I'm sure there is a sound card installed.

Trying to install 4.0b via a RIS-Server fails:
the machine is booting the network-kernel
but shows the warning
PowerManager failed to register CPU0 handler
and then stops with the error message:
panic (cpu0): vfs_mountroot
cannot mount root
DUMP: no primary swap, no explicit dumpdev
nowhere to put header
giving up

thereis an environment variable dumpdev but it's not set.
booting the old 3.2 system seems to work but an error message is showing
up:
Preposterous time in TOY, check and reset the date.

My questions:
how can I reinstall my soundcard?
how can I install the 4.0b via network (the machine has no CD-ROM!)?

URGENT!

thank you

--
               Harald Volz