FTP transfered file permissions

From: Copeland, Steve <Steve.Copeland_at_enersis.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:58:08 +1300

OSF Gurus,
How do I reset the default umask on DUV4.0B before using ftp from NT to
DUV4.0B?
When a user executes an ftp process on a Microsoft OS to transfer an ASCII
file from a PC across a LAN to an Alpha 4100 with a DUV4.0B OS, the file
invariably appears at the target with file permissions set to -rw-r--r--.
It has been suggested to me that at the UNIX end, I can modify
/etc/inetd.conf to change the ftp line so that the command started is ftp -u
644 or whatever, and restart inetd. However, the man reference shows no
such option.
The ftp line in /etc/inetd.conf is currently:
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/ftpd ftpd

Does anyone know how I can transfer a file from NT to DU so that the file
permissions set on DU are -rw-rw-rw-?
Cheers.

Steve Copeland
Computer Systems Engineer

Enersis Limited - (Northern) DDI : 09 359 6225
PO Box 4302 Pager : 026 250 9231
20 Beaumont Street Fax : 09 359 6320
Freemans Bay, Auckland E-Mail : copelands_at_enersis.co.nz