Tyro's Question: How Do I Get A Prom Prompt?

From: Michael Mitchell <lizrdegg_at_email.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 13:20:51 -0500

     Folks-

     I've just received a new 500au workstation with
Digital Unix pre-installed. By following the graphical
clipboard guide, I've set up the network, hosts file, and
DNS client, and was able to ping successfully, etc. Before
I set up the NIS client, I added this new machine to our DNS
database and our NIS netgroups, etc. Now after setting up
NIS client on the 500au, and for whatever reason, the machine
can't find its NIS master (there are two in the domain). And
now when I try to log-in, the machine sits there like a
lump and the console window shows:

Can't find an OSF-BASE, UNIX-WORKSTATION, or UNIX-SERVER License PAK
NIS server not responding for domain "fosdick.tracy.edu"

and I can't log in. I suspect that the machine is
broadcasting away, looking for an NIS master, and not paying
attention to me. I'd like to hope that I can still log in
as root or that the machine won't run NIS without having to
add license information. I didn't add the license information
yet because that setup icon is farther down the graphical
clipboard of start-up tasks than is the NIS setup icon.

     I want to boot into single-user mode and fix this mess,
but I can't get a prom-level prompt! When powered up, the
machine boots automatically and nothing I do can get that
prom-level prompt. I've tried ^c, break, F2, and just about
every other key combination that it is possible to hit with a
ruler, but to no good effect.

     Can someone please (please!) tell me how to get
that darned prom-level prompt and how to get out of this
mess?

     Thanks in advance.

     Mike