Follow-up: resolution change

From: Tony Warner <Tony.Warner_at_gat.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:12:17 -0800

Original post:

>how does one change the resolution of the display? I need to hook up a
>projector to my Alpha PWS433 running DU4.0D and the current resolution
>is too high to be displayed on the projector.

Sorry for the incomplete info. My graphics card is a PBXGB-AA 2MB PCI card.
Originally set to 1280x1024 72Hz.

Thanks to Kris Larson and Richard Bemrose for their quick responses.

Kris suggested a setting on the card itself. Sure enough, there was a
rotary switch.
Richard suggested a change to the Xservers.con file.

Tried these suggestions. The hardware approach seemed the best approach.
However,
when I changed from setting 0 (1280x1024 72Hz) to setting 9 (800x600 72Hz),
I got
problems. The bootup screens showed that my resolution change had
definitely been
recognized. However, when it came time for the login screen to appear, the
monitor
started flashing between blue and black. I could hear the monitor clicking
inside, like it
was trying to switch modes , etc... Making the change in
/usr/dt/config/Xservers.con to
:0 Local local_at_console /usr/bin/X11/X :0 -nice -2 -screen0 800
and then changing the resolution on the card to 800x600 also had the same
result.
modifying the Xservers file without the hardware change makes no change
whatsoever.
I tried several other resolution settings on the card, all to no avail.
Same result.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Tony