Problems upgrading from KZPBA to KZPCA (SWXCR)

From: Allen Belk <allen.belk_at_usm.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:00:07 -0600

Over the weekend I attempted to upgrade an AS 1200 from a KZPBA to RAID 5 on
a KZPCA. The following is a list of steps that were taken.

1. removed KZPBA and placed KZPCA in same PCI slot
2. inserted 3 DS-RZ1CB-VW 4.3GB UltraSCSI HDDs into the internal
StorageWorks shelf
3. upgraded the firmware on the KZPCA from 2.42 to 2.49
4. set up a RAID 5 logical drive containing 4 drives (DS-RZ1CB-VW)
5. initialized logical drive (almost)

After 40 minutes had past and the progress bar was showing only 5% complete,
an error message appeared on the screen stating "FATAL ERROR - controller
has stopped responding to commands, RESET to continue." I gave up after
this happened the third time. After talking to DEC technical support for
about an hour, no breakthroughs were reached. The following were confirmed

    - writeback caching enabled (battery backup installed)
    - SCSI Xfer set to MAX (actually tried 10MHz and MAX, neither worked)
    - jumpers on controller are properly set
    - termination is correct
    - jumpers on StorageWorks shelf are properly set
    - using RCU ver. 4.73
    - using RA200SRL.EXE to run RCU (connected via serial connection to a
vt320)

The two issues are, why is the initialization so slow, and why does the
controller stop responding to commands. DEC tech support has elevated this
to engineering but who knows when a solution will come. If anyone has had
similar problems, I would greatly appreciate any advice, solutions, or
condolences you can offer.

Thanks,

Allen Belk