SUMMARY : When is a kernel rebuild mandatory ?

From: Daniel Clar <Daniel.Clar_at_supelec.fr>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:03:00 +0100

The original posting was :

> Hello Managers,
>
> It's not clear for me when it's necessary to start from genvmunix to
> rebuild a new kernel.
>
> Is it necessary when you add memory ?
> Is it necessary when you had a cpu ?
>
> I know that it's mandatory for a new controller but not for other cases .
>
> Thanks
>
> Daniel

Thank you all for your answers.

I give the one from
"Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_doctor.zk3.dec.com>

For all relatively current versions of Digital UNIX, you don't need to
build
a new kernel when you add memory or more CPUs of EXACTLY THE SAME TYPE
AS
YOU HAD BEFORE. If you upgrade to a different CPU model and add CPUs at
the
same time, you will probably need to rebuild the kernel, but not because
you
added CPUs, because you changed the CPU model.

Daniel