SUMMARY:security (basics)

From: Nancy J. Young <young_at_nuc003.psc.sc.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:17:33 -0500

-original query _at_EOF-

First, let me thank you all for your extensive help with this:
  Stan Themanwhowantstoremainnameless
  Rob Hamm
  Christopher O'Malley
  Peter Woit
  Rick Beebe
  Santosh Krishnan
  Peter Chapin
  Ian Veach
  Andrew Leonard
  Neil Higson
  Terry Horsnell
  Robin Kellett
  Del Hedges
  Randall R. Cable
  Brian Benson

I couldn't have asked for a more helpful and concerned group (and no flames! i
figured i would get at least one from some weiner :).

There was a mess of information in the replies, so i have categorized them (the
most often recommended marked with a *) to make things a little simpler:
BOOKS, TOOLS, SITES, and general ADVICE.

before i list these, however, i feel i must share what Andy Leonard wrote:

"If those boxes have been exposed to the rest of the world - that is,
connected to the internet, not behind a firewall, turned on and accepting
connections on any port - there is a good chance that they have been compromised
(*they have, that's why you all got this plea for help from me*). You should
give some serious consideration to completely reinstalling each system from the
"bare metal", particularly if you know of any intrusions. This will be the only
way that you can be sure that the systems are not compromised. Patching the
systems in their current state may simply be closing the barn door after the
horse has been gone for quite some time: intruders frequently leave backdoors
through which to return later."

BOOKS:
 *Practical Unix and Internet Security by Garfinkel & Spafford
  Essential Guide to Unix and Network Security by Gene Spafford
  Essential Sytem Administration
  Unix System Administration

  (most of these books are O'Reilly)

TOOLS:
 *mscan this can be found at www.rootshell.com
  sectools ftp://ciac.llnl.gov/pub/ciac/sectools
  nmap (apparently for Linux) www.dhp.com/~fyodor/nmap

SITES:
 *http://www.cert.org this a CERT announce list that was recommended by MANY
  http://www.ssh.fi/sshprotocols2/index.html this is about encryption
  http://www.columbia.edu/acis/security/tips-woit.html
  http://www.columbia.edu/acis/security/intruder-tracks-woit.html
  http://www.sans.org/
  http://www.ugu.com/ (i practically live here, it is my home page)
  http://www.usenix.org
  http://www.iss.net
  http://www.misti.com/stanreq.html (i think this is Ultrix-specific)
  http://unix.digital.com/faqs/publications/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/
         V40D_HTML/AQ0R2DTE/TITLE.HTM

ADVICE:
 *get the most recent patch cluster for the given OS and install them!
 *get on any security announcement email list and read them!
  be sure that you are running all the latest software on your system
      (especially OS & any network servicing programs)
  port scan systems to see what they are doing (see nmap in TOOLS above)
  disable unnecessary services on each machine (ie: unless the system is a mail
      hub/relay, disable sendmail; unless the system is an NFS server, disable
      any NFS server related processes, etc)
  get and install TCP wrappers and use them!
  get on the CERT announce list!
  look into using encryption to remotely manage your systems (see TOOLS above)
  learn how to turn off just about all incoming network access and control very
      carefully who logs into the things
  get some O'Reilly books
  take a security training program
  be your own hacker for a while (see mscan in TOOLS)
  work through the security checklist provided by www.cert.org
  check with DEC people
  for Ultrix, download the latest versions of bind, sendmail, X, etc that would
      run on my system, compile them and get them to run, one by one
  for DECunix, upgrade to a newer version if affordable

i hope these suggestions will be as useful to others as they were to me.
my personal solution for our immediate problem is to try as many of the above as
is humanly possible.
THANKS AGAIN!!

Josie Young
young_at_nuc003.psc.sc.edu

------------original query:--------------
hello all,
i hope someone can help me.
i have three boxes on which i need to address security issues. this has not been
done before (at least not in the last 4 yrs and not to my knowledge) and i do
not know where to start. i have searched the web and the archives with no
useable results.

Q: how do i begin to find possible security holes in my systems?

I NEED THE VERY BASICS

the boxes are:

ultrix4.4
decunix3.2c
linux??.? (don't ask, long story)

thank you for any help you can/may give,
josie