4100 install

From: Spalding, Stephen <SSpaldin_at_mem-ins.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:43:01 -0600

Hello all!

We just bought a used Alpha Server 4100 with 2 5/466 cpus and 4 GB of RAM.
This is a rack mount unit which has a KZPAA controller that the system drive
is sitting on. What I have done is taken my system drive and mounted it up
on my other 4100 and made a copy of the operating system on it. I have then
moved this system drive to the new 4100 and tried to boot off of it. It
appears to be booting, but right before the line that reads "CP - SAVE_TERM
routine to be called" shows, I get a message that says something to the
effect of "cpu panic: CPU 0, bootdevice-parser failed".

I have put in a different drive and installed UNIX from scratch, and that
seems to work just fine. However, I keep other stuff on / and /usr that
demands that I use the other disk which I have restored the o/s from the
other 4100 to. Does anyone know why this is cpu panic is occurring?

Thanks!

Stephen Spalding
Associate System Administrator
Missouri Employers Mutual Insurance