SUMMARY: Yamaha CRW4260 and Digital Unix

From: Serguei Patchkovskii <patchkov_at_ucalgary.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:25:01 -0700 (MST)

Hi everybody,

This is a somewhat belated summary for my query concerning my
attempt to get Yamaha CRW4260 CD recorder working on DPW 500au
with KZPBA-CA (Qlogic QLA1040) SCSI adapter and vanilla DU 4.0D.
I was experiencing kernel panics upon attempting to access the
device, either with cdrecord or with scu.

I got several responces to this request.

georg.tasman_at_db.com suggested editing ddr.dbase. Although this
might have solved the problem, the sheer number of parameters
in ddr.dbase overwhelmed me.

George Scheer (george_at_boeuf.ucdavis.edu) informed me that he had
a limited success with getting Yamaha CRW4260 working on DPW 400au
with KZPBA-CA (also running 4.0D of uncertain patch status). He
also experienced kernel panics, but was able to work around them
by removing block and character devices for 4260 at the boot time
and re-creating them later. I had no success in repeating this.

Thomas Leitner (tom_at_finwds01.tu-graz.ac.at) reported that he had
CRW4260 working fine with DU4.0D (with patch kit #2) while connected
to an NCR810 SCSI controller in a PC164SX clone.

AlBert DeKnuydt (Bert.Deknuydt_at_esat.kuleuven.ac.be) has CRW4260
working fine on a narrow SCSI-2 controller on a DEC3000/600 running
mint 4.0D.

At this point I reluctantly concluded that there is some problem
with the combination of KZPBA-CA and Yamaha CRW4260. Since I can
only spend so much time on solving this, I moved the drive to an
Alpha SX164 clone with ncr53c875 (ultra/wide) SCSI controller
(running Linux). It worked without a glitch the first time, and
I am quite happy with it.

Regards,

/Serge.P