System BUG in vrestore ? (no 2 tapes restore)

From: lombardi emanuele <lele_at_mantegna.casaccia.enea.it>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 09:54:10 +0100 (MET)

Hi alpha-people!

I'm again asking your help about the vrestore of backups which span 2
tapes on TZ885 DLT robot.

Dunix is 4.0d with 2 patches apllied.
Media robot is V1.2 (ROBOTxxx120)
SCSI CAM Medium Changer Driver is V3.1C (CLCMC313)

Using vdump when it reaches the end of the media you are asked to hit
return after the next tape tape is loaded. (tz885 automatically loads
next tape, so it is enough for the user to wait a couple of minutes and
then hit return).
In this way vdump allows you to backup across tapes.

BUT

vrestore does not waits you to change the tape when the first one is
ended, so you CANNOT restore the backup which spans two tapes.

Example:

I start the vresore of the saveset which actually spans 2 tapes:

        vrestore -xf /dev/nrmt2h
        vrestore: Date of the vdump save-set: Fri Oct 2 12:40:47 1998
                Exit the interactive shell without restoring any files.
        unknown command

vrestore actually restores file reached before the EOT, but when EOT
is found the tz885 automatically unloads the tape and loads the
next-one, BUT vrestore does'nt start again restoring files and stays
doing nothing in waiting state (0% CPU)

Another wrong behavour when using vrestore interactively:

        vrestore -if /dev/nrmt2h
        vrestore: Date of the vdump save-set: Thu Oct 8 14:58:52 1998
        (/) exit

        vrestore: nothing will be restored
        vrestore: unable to forward tape to next file; [5] I/O error

In this case vrestore exits (status=0) and tz885 not even loads next
tape.

I suppose this is a system BUG, but I' would like to hear something
from you.
BTW is there an official way to report BUG to DEC ?

Thank you very muchfrom Italy,
Emanuele

--
 Emanuele Lombardi