SUMMARY:Users cannot change NIS passwd

From: Neil Higson <higson_at_dera.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 09:24:38 +0000

> Users on a DEC Unix 4.0d cannot change their passwd using
> yppasswd. The system prompts for the old passwd, then asks
> for a new one - and a verification, but they always get
> passwd mismatch - passwd unchanged?

Solution:

Well it appears that DU NIS passwds will not allow more than 8 characters and if you do type your new passwd in > 8 chars it returns passwd missmatch. Using exactly 8, we now have no problems.

Thanks to:
Robert E Morse

Neil

*****************************
Dr Neil Higson
WX1 System Manager
Weapon Systems
Room 1009 A2 Building
DERA Farnborough
Tel: 01252 396977
Fax: 01252 394720

"The Information contained in this e-mail and any
subsequent correspondence is private and is intended
solely for the intended recipient(s). For those
other than the intended recipient any disclosure,
copying, distribution, or any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance on such information
is prohibited and may be unlawful."