SUMMARY: No sar in 4.0?

From: Bryan Hodgson <bhodgson_at_astea.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 18:00:24 -0500

"sar" is in the layered product "SVE" (System V Environment), and is present
on the Associated Products CDRoms. SVE includes a number of other System V
components.

Since "sar" is part of System V Unix, there can be no legitimate open source
versions.

One respondent described SVE as expensive on an 8400, and another described
it as modestly-priced (on ??).

Dr. Tom Blinn pointed out that Digital Unix is principally derived from BSD.

Without considering the derivation, another respondent offered the opinion
that "needing a license to run sar is about as brain-dead as it gets". In a
world where System V-based Unixes have basically taken over the offerings of
the rest of the major Unix vendors, charging seperate fees for System V
functionality strikes me as a poor strategy. (Folks, WHY do System
V-derived *nixes predominate?)

This topic was present in the archives, at
http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/alpha-osf-managers/1998-06/msg00209
.htm

Original message below.

Thanks to ...

Bruce Kelly [kellybe_at_llnl.gov]
C.Ruhnke [i769646_at_smrs013a.mdc.com]
tackenhu_at_fnal.gov
Stephen Nash [Stephen_Nash_at_ssga.statestreet.com]
Todd B. Acheson [acheson_at_ohiou.edu]
Yvon Lauriault [yvon.lauriault_at_nlc-bnc.ca]
Kevin Oberman [oberman_at_es.net]
Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646 [tpb_at_doctor.zk3.dec.com]
Daniel David Benson [bensond_at_ssds.ucdavis.edu]
Fliguer, Miguel [M_Fliguer_at_miniphone.com.ar]
Joel_Gallun/US/DCI_at_discovery.com