Apparent RZ28 disk crash on an AlphaStation 200 4/166

From: Donald G. Luttermoser <lutter_at_torgo.ETSU.Edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 19:28:57 -0500

To anyone who can help,

I'm at a small regional university in eastern Tennessee and am
essentially on my own in the
system administration on my AlphaStation 200 4/166 running OSF/1 V3.0.
Upon coming in
to my office the day after Thanksgiving, I found my machine in console
mode -- evidently
it had crashed. I was planning to do backups on that day, mainly
because the power supply
fan was making awful noises (it made similar noises 2 years ago which
resulted in the fan's
failure and disabled the power supply -- note the workstation was about
1.5 years old at
that time -- Digital put a new power supply in and I was back in
business). I wanted my
files backed-up before the power supply went again (why does Digital put
such cheap fans
in their power supplies? They only seem to have a 2 year lifetime.)

When I found the machine in the console mode, I immediately thought that
the fan had
malfunctioned, even though I could still hear it operating. I decided
to reboot to see what
would happen and it started booting normally. However, when it got to
checking the /users
disk (/dev/rrz0c -- a 2 Gb RZ28 disk), fsck claimed to find a
nonrecoverable media error
on the RZ28 disk (and reported the bad block number 1078944), stopped
the booting
process, went to single-user mode and told me to run fsck manually. So
in single-user
mode, I issued the command "fsck /dev/rrz0c" which gave me the following
questions:

... bad block number 1078944, fix? (I answered yes)
... unknown inode flag I=128577, fix? (once again yes)
... unknown file type I=128577, fix? (yes)
... (and this continued for 5 or 6 inode/file entries)
... cannot read: blk 1101056, fix? (yes)
... the following disk sectors could not be read: 1101091, ...97,
...100, ...102
... cannot read: blk 1101088, fix? (yes)
... cannot read: blk 1145280, fix? (at this point I stopped fsck, since
I didn't want to
       continue doing this blindly)

I have been searching the Web to see if anyone has had a similar
difficulty and instruct me
on what I can do to recover this disk. Unfortunate, I have some
important files on that disk
that have not been backed-up, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Please respond to lutter_at_etsu.edu.

Thanks,
Don Luttermoser