From: Edwin R Wolfe Jr. <ewolfe_at_umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:09:48 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to
John Francini
Mike Iglesias
Dr. Thomas P. Blinn

A clearer indication of the opsys version is in /etc/motd. Another
suggestion was /var/adm/messages, but we lacked privilege for that, or
uerf (my first attempt).

I'm pretty sure the author used standard C routines, and it's a 50-50
chance he used no Motif/Xt/Xlib routines newer than this target host's
distribution, so he'll probably try once or twice to compile on this older
system.