SUMMARY: AS 4000 5/300 CPUs

From: Tim Mooney <mooney_at_dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 01:06:06 -0600 (CST)

I received responses to my original question (which is included after my sig)
from:

        Brian Wood <beww_at_intac.com>
        Christophe Wolfhugel <wolf_at_pasteur.fr>
        Tom Webster <webster_at_ssdpdc.lgb.cal.boeing.com>
        "Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>
        Ed Murphy <Ed.Murphy_at_ussurg.com>
        "ram.rao" <ram_at_ini.dec.com>
        Chris Jankowski <chris_at_lagoon.meo.dec.com>

My thanks to each of them! Their replies were all quite helpful.

As I suspected, the CPU boards from an AS 4000/4100 can *not* be used in a
different model AlphaServer (e.g. a 2100A, 8200, etc). Even if they could be
used in a different model machine, Chris Jankowski pointed out that I may have
a new concern -- licensing issues.

Tom Webster and Ed Murphy touched on a subjet I had not considered -- pulling
the CPUs off the CPU boards and populating CPU boards of a different
form-factor with them. Ed indicated that it's the CPU board itself (and not
the CPU) that makes up the lion's share of the cost of the overall board, so
this option probably isn't worthwhile either since I would need to have an
unpopulated CPU board of some other form-factor handy before I could try it.

As usual, Tom Blinn's reply was excellent, so I'm including it here in full:

>Tim, I checked with my colleague who knows the various server systems quite
>well, and he says that those CPU cards are only used in one other system,
>and that they are the slow speed for that system as well, so unless you'd
>happen to find someone who's self-maintenance and wanted your old CPUs as
>spares, they're not very marketable.
>
>We'd normally sell a 304XR-BW upgrade package for the swap you did, at a
>lower price, and if that's what you bought, you're supposed to return the
>old CPU cards as part of the deal. If you just bought the new cards at the
>full price using part number KN304-BA, then there's no pre-adjusted trade in
>price in effect, as far as I know. You might ask your sales rep or reseller
>about returning the used cards to Digital for credit.
>
>Tom

I'm currently pursuing getting some type of credit from our local salesperson
for return of the two older CPU boards.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney_at_dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu
Room 242-J1, IACC Building              (701) 231-8541 (Fax)