SUMMARY: Shadow pw and C2

From: Noel A. Davis <noeld_at_freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 10:08:27 -0500 (EST)

Thank for help to:

Leon Troeth lanks_at_aurora.cc.monash.edu.au
Martin MOKREJS mmokrejs_at_prfdec.natur.cuni.cz
Jorge Granjal <jgranjal_at_eden.dei.uc.pt>
"Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>
Caine the wanderer <ctflist_at_jane.penn.com>

QUESTION:

> From: "Noel A. Davis" <noeld_at_freenet.tlh.fl.us>

> I have upgraded a machine to Digital Unix 4.0B, it currently does not have
> shadow passwds.
>
> I need to have them but what I need to know is do I have to install the C2
> stuff to have this? If I do do I have to take the rest of the stuff that
> comes with it? or can I pick and choose? What is your recomendation for
> shadow stuff, get a non-dec package?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

ANSWER:

Yes to have shadow passwords under 4.0B you have to install enhanced
security.

So you have to start with a non-shadowed password file. In my case I had
a shadowed password file from a different OS. So I used the shadmrg.aix
script that is distributed with crack to generate a non-shadow password
file. I then went through the file and replaced any non-passworded
accounts password field with * to prevent them being converted with no
passwords.

I then ran the secsetup (/usr/sbin/secsetup) this enabled enhanced
security.

I then ran convuser (/tcb/bin/convuser) this converted the passwd file to
the shadow password format. One thing I failed to do was read the man page
closely enough to notice the -u option. This option tells convuser to not
auto-expire all the passwords.

I then had shadow passwords.

Places to look for stuff:

/tcb/bin/
/tcb/*
/usr/tcb/*
/etc/auth/

Man pages to read:

secsetup
convuser
prpasswd
default
edauth
authck
authcap
convauth
XIsso
XSysAdmin
dxaccounts
files
ttys

NOTES:

passwords entered with more than eight characters will only work if the
first eight characters are entered. Additional characters will cause the
login to fail.