SUMM: More than 3 advfs volumes. Risky?

From: Dick Abraham <abrahad_at_gov.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 09:38:43 -0500 (EST)

I received numerous responses to my question:

  The manual page for the addvol command indicates that more than 3
  volumes in an advfs domain can be risky even though up to 250 volumes
  is supported.

The answers I recieved were numerous and all indicated that the reason more
than 3 volumes can be risky is that if one physical volume in a domain fails
all data in the domain is lost and it it statistically more likely that
one of 3 volumes will fail than only one volume and even more likely that
one of 4 volumes will fail than one of 3 volumes.

Thanks to all who responded, your help is very much appreciated.

I am going with 4 volumes but realize I must be even more vigilant about
backups than I was before.

Richard