Using "patch" for Amanda backup software (a bit off topic)

From: Andy Townsend <townsend_at_hpl.umces.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:03:02 -0500

Hi again,

I'm posting this here because (a) you all have always been very helpful
and (b) For some reason I am unable to post to the list that might be
more appropriate.

I am using Amanda 2.2.6 on DU 3.2G to backup several DU machines across
a network. This version of Amanda, however, cannot handle file systems
that are larger than 2 gigabytes.

My users would like to begin partitioning their disks into bigger chunks
and I need to accommodate them.

I have seen references for a patch that corrects the 2 gig file system
limitation in Amanda 2.2.6. It is to be installed using the "patch"
command, for which I have read the man pages. I believe the patch is in
the .diff file format.

I cannot figure out what I am supposed to "patch". The man pages are
cryptic to me, discussing ifdef statements and fuzz factors. I am not a
c programmer. I understand that you use the patch command, specifying
an input file and an original file, to produce a "patched version".

I assume the input file is the .diff file and the original file a source
code file. I'm not sure what my original file should be, as there are
several different files that make up the Amanda suite. Additionally,
after I get the "patch" accomplished (hopefully with your help!) will I
need to recompile something? Everything?

I have been wrestling with this for a month using every resource I can
find. It's been one step forward, two steps back.

If anyone can help me I will be in your debt. If it is appropriate I
would even consider paying a consulting fee out of my own pocket.

Thank you very much,

Andy Townsend
University of Maryland - Horn Point Laboratory
(410) 221-8487
townsend_at_hpl.umces.edu