How to monitor a failing Firewall !

From: Jan Hansen <dkJanHan_at_europe.lego.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 13:34:45 +0100

Hi Gurus !

I have some problems with our Unix 4.0b Altavista Firewall. Sometimes it
stops functioning but i can't see any errors anywhere. The firewall
seems to be OK, but it is not possible to browse from our network to the
internet, and mails are not transferred.
We are trying hard to isolate the problem, but until that i need to
monitor and detect failures.

I would like to monitor the services Telnet, FTP, HTTP & SMTP. This
should be done in batch mode. I expect to write a script that send
messages to a mobile-Phone (SMS) in case of problems. I would like to
see if for instance www.yahoo.com reply's every ½ hour and to send a
bounce mail and check for reply.

How do i monitor these services in batch (unattended script) mode ?
Does anybody else have similar problems with Unix 4.0b and an AltaVista
Firewall 97 ?

With kind regards

Jan Hansen
System Manager