How to use ghostscript as print filter?

From: Chester Liu <cht_at_rati.pse.umass.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 17:52:28 -0500 (EST)

Hi, I would much appreciate some help getting the printer going...
I've looked through the archives but haven't found an answer to this
question:

We have a AlphaStation 500 running DU 4.0B hooked up to an Epson Stylus
Pro via the parallel port. We only print postscript files in our group.
I want to use ghostscript as the print filter so that it will translate
postscript to the Epson language.

This worked well before on our SGI running the SYSV lp print system, but now
with the lpr print system on Dec Unix, I don't know how to do it.

I tried this unsuccessful printcap:
color|stylus:\
        :if=/usr/spool/printer/lpcolor:\
        :of=/usr/spool/printer/lpcolor:\
        :xf=/usr/spool/printer/lpcolor:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lperr:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/color:

lpcolor is my print filter script which worked so well on the SGI:

/usr/local/bin/gs -sDEVICE=stcolor -dSoftweave -sOutputFile=- \
-dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dSHORTERRORS -quiet -sDithering="fscmyk" \
stcolor.ps - -c quit > /dev/lp0

When I do an lpr and monitor the processes with top, I notice that
ghostscript starts briefly and dies. If I feed a postscript file
to the script above with 'cat' it works fine. So, somehow, my filter
gets invoked but it doesn't get the file it seems. When I do an lpq
after a while, I see that the postscript file is still in the queue.

# lpq -Pcolor
Warning: no daemon present
Tue Jan 20 17:50:43 1998: Attempting to print dfA043yama.pse.umass.edu
Rank Pri Owner Job Files Total Size
1st 0 root 43 cafe.ps 1137 bytes

# ps -e | grep lpd
25652 ?? I 0:00.01 /usr/lbin/lpd -l