old /etc/passwd , old machine --> new machine , enhanced security

From: Alberto Dainotti <alberto_at_cds.unina.it>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 23:09:48 +0100 (MET)

Hello,
I have a problem:

I have 3000+ users on a server running Digital Unix 3.2
Most of the users connect using ppp on a dial-up line.
The system runs under "base" security.

I have my new alpha-server running Digital Unix 4.0b where I need to
transfer
all the users and where I need to enable "Enhanced Security".

How can I transfer all the users without having 3000 people calling me
by the phone at the same time asking why they can't login ???
('cause enhanced security has locked their accounts without explanation)

Is there an automated process I can use to transfer users? (under
Enhanced Security)
Is there a way to access the password fields contained in the database created
by enhanced security? (This to create a script to automate all the process and
mail people with their new (system generated) passwords before the change is
made)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alberto.
alberto_at_unina.it