SUMMARY:Software Installation Part II

From: Ronald D. Bowman <rdbowma_at_tsi.clemson.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 17:49:04 -0500

Hello Managers -

Summary of my post -
        I still wasn't able to remove the incomplete status
        from some of the software subsets even after using
        setld -d SUBSET_NAME and then re-installing the
        software with setld -l.

--------------------------

Well, I finally was able to reinstall the software and have it
show a status of installed instead of incomplete. Thanks for
the responses from Steve Beikman, Ian Mortimer and Dr. Blinn.

The response from Dr. Blinn gave me the solution. From his post(
at the bottom), I decided to check all the problem Software subsets for .lk
files. Some had it, others did not. The ones with .lk files all had
.lk files that were empty except for one file. So, my solution was to
delete the .lk, .ctrl, .inv and .scp files for each of the problem software
subsets and then re-install the subset. The one subset that had something in
the .lk file was dependent only on one of my problem subsets, so I
was able to re-install it correctly by the same procedure.

Using this new method took much longer for the installation than the first time.
So maybe(as Dr. Blinn alludes to) if you run setld -d and then re-install you do
not necessarily reload all of the files off of the CD-ROM.

I suggest reading the response by Dr. Blinn below:

Thanks to all who responded.

Ron Bowman
Techno-Sciences, Inc.
864-646-4028
864-646-4001(fax)
rdbowma_at_tsi.clemson.edu

>From Ian:
>With Digital Unix 4.0[bc] you will get subsets marked as
>incomplete if you run 'setld -i' as an unprivileged user.
>If you run it as root the same subsets will be marked
>as installed.

This was not my case. I saw incomplete even as root. Plus
only some of the files were marked incomplete - not all of
them.

>From Steve:
>make sure you're not running out of
>disk space on /, /tmp,/var and/or /usr. I'm sure
>you've already considered this. You could have a
>look at /var/adm/messages to see if you've encountered
>full filesystem type messages.

Fortunately, this was not a problem.

>From Dr. Blinn:

>> If you remove the subset and reinstall it, or remove the .lk file (which is
>> the flag to setld that the subset has been loaded) and reinstall it, then
>> you should be OK.

>A further clarification: When you remove a subset with setld, the control
>file and other files don't get removed. That is, there will still be files
>in /usr/.smdb. for the subset. You can get rid of them all to free up space
>if you only do it for files where .lk file isn't present -- the .lk file is
>the key to whether the subset is believed to be present or not.

>When you run setld against a kit, it copies the files from the kit's local
>instctrl directory into the ./usr/.smdb. directory. If the kit's files are
>valid, then they should replace the files in the system's ./usr/.smdb. but
>I'd have to double check to make sure they will always overwrite (replace)
>the existing files.

>You can read the setld shell script yourself and find the place (there is
>only one) where it checks the status for "incomplete". You can look at the
>shell routine that does the check, and see the list of lines that it looks
>for in the .ctrl file. Then you can look at the .ctrl file (it's a simple
>text file with shell style assignment statements) and see what's missing.
>Maybe it's benign, maybe it's really a bug.

>By the way, if you're installing from a RIS server instead of CDROM media,
>or from an on-disk copy of the CDROM media, it's possible for someone or
>something to mess up the control files or other installation files; they are
>not necessarily under careful revision control.

Tom