can't compile kernel

From: Martin Mokrejs <mmokrejs_at_mail.natur.cuni.cz>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:21:31 +0100 (MET)

Hello,
 I'm thinking about upgrading to 4.0D from 4.0B version on AS1000A.
Why: I installed by istake Jumbo patch 6 over Jumbo 5, while having patch
226 from Jumbo 5 installed(not recommended - yes, I had to use the
special menu function in dupatch - baseline analysis and adjustment).
My fault, the system worked happily, until I decided to unistall Jumbo6,
unistall patch 226 from jumbo5, and again install Jumbo6.

Problem: after unistalling any of these, there were some other dependant
patches, which I had also to unistall(like AdvFS patches :-( ).
I did not see any errors while (un)/installing any of these.
But now , I can't compile kernel, at least. I can boot from the old image,
but I'm not very happy about this. I could restore from tape everything,
but restoring just /sys directory didn't help.

*** PERFORMING KERNEL BUILD ***
/usr/sbin/doconfig: MAKEDEV: not found
/usr/sbin/doconfig: MAKEDEV: not found

A log file listing special device files is located in /dev/MAKEDEV.log
/usr/sbin/doconfig: config: not found

Configuration file has errors.
/tmp/config26247: No such file or directory

*** NOTE ***
The customized kernel for this machine could not be successfully
created. One possible problem could be kernel layered products
that might be incompatible with the base operating system. This
script will now automatically attempt to build a kernel using the
base operating system only.
Is this ok? (y/n) [y]:

Do you want to edit the configuration file? (y/n) [n]:

*** Retrying Kernel Build ***
/usr/sbin/doconfig: config: not found

Configuration file has errors.
/tmp/config26247: No such file or directory

Do you want to edit the configuration file? (y/n) [n]:

*** NOTE ***
A new kernel for this machine could not be successfully created.

Do you what what should be causing the problem?

TIA
Martin
| Martin MOKREJS - Net&SysAdmin |
| PGP 5.0i key at: finger://mail.natur.cuni.cz/mmokrejs |
| mmokrejs_at_natur.cuni.cz Faculty of Science, The Charles University |
| tel.: +420-2-2195 2315 Albertov 6, PRAGUE 2, 128 43, Czech Republic |