File Control Database and ACL's

From: Joshua Breindel <josh_at_sba.miami.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 18:17:44 -0500 (EST)

Hello Managers...

  I am writing a program to run under DU 4.0B with C2 security implemented
that will manipulate the file control database (/etc/auth/system/files). I
have successfully managed to add/delete/update entries (using the newer
"es" functions such as getesfient() and putesfinam()) but only as far as
owner, group, mode, and file type. Based on the es_file structure as
defined in prot.h, it looks as though there is support for ACL entries in
the database as well. This is where I am having difficulties.

Does anyone know if acl entries are supported in the File Control
Database? The files(4) man page only mentions owner, group, mode, and
type fields.

I have gotten putesfinam() to create a "f_acl= " field in the database,
but I doubt I am doing it correctly. Has anyone gotten this to work?

Additionally, the default file control db (/etc/auth/system/files) has an
entry in it for /tcb/bin/setfiles but I have been unable to find any
information (even on a 4.0d system) on what exactly this file does. I had
run across something that led me to believe that this program was for
manipulation of the file control db, but I do not remember where I read
that. Has anyone heard of "setfiles" or know what it does?

Thanks very much,

Josh Breindel

| Joshua D. Breindel | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| University of Miami | 317M Jenkins Building |
| | 5250 University Drive |
| josh_at_sba.miami.edu | Coral Gables, FL 33146 |
| | (305) 284-1962 |