Nonroot user id mapping in NFS (without NIS)

From: Irene A. Shilikhina <irene_at_alpha.iae.nsk.su>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 14:48:18 +0600 (NSK)

Hello managers,

some of our ALPHA's users have their group and user identifiers on another
computer (with LINUX) in our local network different from these on the ALPHA,
while they need read and write access to their home directories in LINUX
through NFS.

MY QUESTION:
___________
Is there any facility with some proxy function to map gid and uid on the
client side to these on the server side in order to provide access to these
users without granting it to the world and considering that no NIS available
on the local network. (I guess, it should be on the server side, if any;
so I'm a little wrong in my appeal to DU forum, however many managers concern
both UNIX systems, it's a reason why I address the question to "MY" list).
Besides, I'd like to avoid changing their identification on the ALPHA.

Additional information:

DU 3.2.c with C2.

Thanks in advance,
Irene.

Irene A. Shilikhina, (e-mail: irene_at_alpha.iae.nsk.su)
DU system manager,
Institute of Automation & Electrometry
Novosibirsk, Russia