SUMMARY-do i need a tune up

From: system PRIVILEGED account- John F. Marten <root_at_tigger.oslc.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 10:16:48 -0800

i recieved 1 reply from Tom Blinn, who asked me several questions
that made me stop and think. i went back to Performance Manager
and Performance Analysis and soon realized i forgot to select
"node/group to analyze". well duh on me! so i answered both my
questions at once. Performance Analysis in CDE works great and
diagnostics showed me all my resources are perfectly fine, thank you.

orig question:
 hi, there.
> i am trying to figure out if or what on my system needs tuning. i have
> read
> through the "System Tuning and Performance Management" manual but it has
> no
> troubleshooting scenarios/advice. here's the deal:
> under a normal load...
> swapon -s reports 78%+ is available
> and vmstat reports:
> memory cpu
> act free wire us sy id
> 12k 7249 4237 1 1 98
> now, when a user runs a big job from a statistical package like Splus or
> SPSS
> or even loads up a Gnus nntp news reader:
> i get these figures...
> vmstat
> memory cpu
> act free wire us sy id
> 19k 165 3825 1 1 98
> ps aux reports the process as using:
> %CPU %MEM
> 98.1 14.6
> swapon -s reports 58%+ is available
> do i need a tune-up?
> *on an unrelated note- in CDE when i run Performance Manager -> Execute
> -> Performance Analysis -> Memory Shortage
> the Memshort window pops up with the message "permission denied" inside.
If the ladies don't find ya handsome, at least they'll find ya handy. -Red Green