Changing primary groups under C2 Security

From: Paul N. Youngblood <youngbp_at_email.uah.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:50:01 -0600 (CST)

Hello managers,

What's the best way to change the primary groups of a bunch of
users to another primary group? I've got a total of 2800 users
and I want to change the primary groups of about 700 of them to
one new primary group. Currently, these 700 are spread across
eight different primary groups.

I'm running DU 4.0B with C2 Security on an Alpha 2100. I am not
running NIS. I keep running into cautions in the man pages and
other documentation to NOT use vipw on /etc/passwd if you are
running Enhanced Security, but I cannot find any information that
really explains this. Is there a way that I can use vipw on my
/etc/passwd and still keep C2 Security "happy" ?? I'll summarize.
Thank you in advance for any help you provide.

Paul Youngblood
youngblood_at_uah.edu
University of Alabama in Huntsville