Preserving LSM config on fresh install

From: Erik Persson <erik_at_ikp.liu.se>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 18:19:54 +0100

I'm planning to upgrade my AlphaServer 800 from Digital Unix 4.0B to
4.0D. I am aware that you can do this with an upgrade install, but for
many reasons, some of them historical, but mostly to retain 100%
control over the process I prefer making clean installs over
upgrading.

The current configuration uses AdvFS on top of striped LSM volumes for
all user filesystems. The system disk is not managed by LSM.

Of course, I will make sure that I have got everything on tape as
well, but in order to restore the AdvFS/LSM config on the new OS
installation, is it sufficient to:

* Save the layout of /etc/fdmns in order to manually restore the file
  domains on the new installation. E.g. 'ls -lR /etc/fdmns |lpr'.

* Save the LSM config with volsave to some convenient place.

* Install the new OS version

* Make sure the raw disks are identified by the same name and in the
  same order by the kernel (any reason why they shouldn't?) as with the

* Restore LSM configuration obtained by volsave with volrestore.

* Recreate file domains by manually creating /etc/fdmns from hardcopy.

Is there anything vital that I have missed? Will I shoot myself in the
foot?

I am very thankful for any suggestions.

Thanks,
/Erik

--
Erik Persson, System Manager            e-mail: erik_at_ikp.liu.se
Dept. of Mech. Engineering              Voice: +46 13 28 2464