DEC TULIP: no console mode

From: Vinzenz Esser <Vinzenz_Esser_at_emass.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:58:24 -0700

On a DEC 2000 Model 300 (the good ol' Jensen) running Digital Unix V4.0B I
see a problem with port selection on the EISA network card after installing a
third party application.

The card is set up for auto sensing with the thin wire port being used at
this time:

> Jan 30 18:23:54 pluto vmunix: tu0: DEC TULIP Ethernet Interface,
> hardware address: 08-00-2B-9E-F1-69
> Jan 30 18:23:54 pluto vmunix: tu0: auto sensing: selected 10Base2|5 (AUI) port

After installing this application and rebuilding the kernel, the card doesn't
do auto select anymore. It selects the twisted pair port instead (cutting the
system off of the outside world):

> Feb 1 10:14:43 pluto vmunix: tu0: DEC TULIP (10Mbps) Ethernet Interface,
> hardware address: 08-00-2B-9E-F1-69
> Feb 1 10:14:43 pluto vmunix: tu0: no console mode: defaulting to 10BaseT (UTP) port:
> half duplex: no link

Rebooting the sytem with the original kernel from before installing this
particular application gives me back the auto sensing feature. The developer
of this application doesn't have a clue, why his kernel modifications break
the port sensing feature. He claims that his application doesn't do anything
with the network card.

Does anybody out there have a suggestion as to where to point this guy?

Thanks. Any help is greatly appreciated here.

Vinzenz
--
Vinzenz Esser
EMASS Technical Support