3000/600 upgraded from OSF/1 1.x to DU 4.0a, now--- no X!

From: Dr. Rob Llagruda <bigcat_at_3fhac.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 15:18:48 -0800

The hardware is a 3000/600 workstation with the mid-level 3D graphics
card (TurboChannel).

It was running the old (1.0?) version of OSF/1 that was
factory-installed when we got it way back in early '96.
I "upgraded" it to Digital UNIX aka OSF/1 4.0a (actually, just did a
fresh install and reentered all the PAKs).

Everything seems to work fine, except that the machine comes up in
console mode.
The X server is apparently not starting. I can't start it manually,
either:

# Xdec
Workstation device failure.
Cannot find loadable library to handle device GENERIC .
Could not AddScreen, ID = GENERIC

Fatal server error:
no screens found
# setld -i |grep 'X Server'
OSFSER3D405 installed X Servers for Open3D (Windowing
Environment)
OSFSER405 installed X Servers Base (Windowing Environment)
OSFSERPC405 installed X Servers for PCbus (Windowing
Environment)
OSFSERTC405 installed X Servers for TurboChannel (Windowing
Environment)
OSFXNEST405 installed Nested X Server (Windows Applications)
#

Anyone have a quick suggestion as to what I may be missing?

Thanks,

Rob
bigcat_at_3fhac.com