SUMMARY: DU MP whitepaper?

From: Pat Wilson <paw_at_northstar.dartmouth.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 09:43:03 +0000

I wrote:
        I've been avoiding putting >1 processor in any machine I run since I'm not
        quite sure I completely grasp the concept. Is there a DU-specific MP
        whitepaper or some such around? I'm interested in how DU handles
        scheduling across >1 processor systems, how to effectively tune the beasts
        (this next box will be a web server, so I'm concerned about I/O as well as
        raw speed), etc.

Thanks to Tom Blinn (of course!), Jerry Berkman, Miguel Fliguer, Kevin McManus,
and John Stoffel, who all said that DU pretty much automagically does fine
SMP for the numbers of processors that Digital offers (up to 8). Tom kindy
sent along a copy of an old SMP on OSF/1 whitepaper written by maddog (Jon
Hall) in 1994, which is an interesting overview of the sorts of issues the
kernel designers had to consider (mostly locking).

Again, thanks to all.

Pat Wilson
paw_at_dartmouth.edu