TCL problem - Dynamic Libraries

From: Aharon Schkolnik <aharon_at_health.gov.il>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 19:25:19 +0200

Hi.

I'm trying to build a software package called angela!. It is a TCL
program. Apparently it build fine on Linux, but I can't build it on
Digital Unix 3.2c. I've been in touch with the author, and he thinks
it is a problem with "dynamic modules", however he doesn't have a
Digital Unix machine around, so he wasn't able to figure it out, so I
told him I'd ask you folks. Anyway, here's some of what we wrote each
other. Hope someone out there can help.

On 25 Feb 1998, Aharon Schkolnik wrote:
> [I told him the make when basically fine]
>
> All I see is a few warnings about MODULE_UPDATE redefined. Do you
> think those are O.K. ?

These warnings are OK.

> Well, now's the time to try to run it.
> Here's what I get:
>

> healdb:angela-1.15#./angela
>

> Copyright ) 1997-98 by Oliver Pabst &
> Max Planck Institute for Computer Science.
> angela! comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see the
> provided LICENSE file.
>

> Error in startup script: couldn't load file "./module_node.o": dlopen: Cannot ma
> p library ./module_node.o
> while executing
> "load $angela_root/$module"

[snip]

>Looks like the module is not dynamic loadable.
>Please send me the result of

> ldd ./module_node.o

>But I guess, that there is no dynamic libraries support for your OS. If
>this is true, then it will be a little more difficult.

>You can also check if Tcl can load the module_node.o file by executing:

> tclsh8.0
> load ./module_node.o

So, it seems that it all boils down to the following problem:

tclsh8.0
% load ./module_node.o
couldn't load file "./module_node.o": dlopen: Cannot map library ./module_node.o
%